12 August 2008


Recall referendum marred by only a few isolated attacks on press

Incident details

Silvia Gómez, Carlos Hugo Vaca, Dehymar Antezana, Edwin Flores, Adalberto Eguëz, Rubén Villán, Mili Saravia, Maria Luz Arce

This is available in:

English Français Español
(RSF/IFEX) - There was surprisingly little violence directed against the press during the 10 August 2008 recall referendum on the mandates of President Evo Morales and eight regional governors, although there was a series of physical attacks on journalists during the preceding days.

"We are relieved by the relative calm in which the voting took place, especially as the political tension had led us to fear the worst," RSF said. "We nonetheless condemn the attacks on journalists and news media that took place in the run-up to the referendum."

A policeman threw tear gas at Silvia Gómez of privately-owned television station PAT as she was covering a clash between supporters of the opposition Santa Cruz Youth Movement and the ruling Movement to Socialism (MAS) on 1 August.

Several journalists, including Carlos Hugo Vaca of the news agency Reuters, were insulted and jeered by government supporters while covering a MAS motorcade in Santa Cruz on 3 August. Hugo Vaca was beaten and accused of having links with the region's business leaders.

Privately-owned TV station Unitel-Oruro was forced to suspend broadcasting for 24 hours after its premises were attacked by students from a state university on 5 August. Station chief Juan Carlos Soria said the attack was almost certainly linked to the fact that it is owned by a media group that has its headquarters in Santa Cruz, an opposition stronghold.

Dehymar Antezana of "La Patria" was thrown to the ground and kicked repeatedly by miners in Oruro on 5 August when he photographed them throwing stones at a military convoy bound for Cochabamba. He had to go to a hospital to have his injuries treated.

Reporter Edwin Flores of privately-owned Radio Patujú, cameraman Adalberto Eguëz of Canal 11 Televisión Universitaria and freelancer Rubén Villán were roughed up in Trinidad on 6 August while covering a visit by President Morales at the end of his referendum campaign. Flores was insulted and badly beaten by members of the Trinidad Civic Committee.

Mili Saravia and Maria Luz Arce of the pro-government radio station Patria Nueva were attacked while covering voting on 10 August in two schools in Tarija. When Saravia asked about the use of parallel voter lists, several people threw stones at her, notably a man identified only as Gutiérrez, who was reportedly a member of the town's Civic Committee. Arce was attacked by the staff of the San Roque school polling station, who wanted to know for which news outlets she was taking photos. They then reported her to the police.

For further information on the Hugo Vaca case, see: http://www.ifex.org/en/content/view/full/95957
For further information on the on Edwin Flores case, see: http://www.ifex.org/en/content/view/full/95992


Reporters Without Borders
47, rue Vivienne
75002 Paris, France
rsf (@) rsf.org

Fax:+33 1 45 23 11 51

IFEX members working in this country 1

More from Bolivia
  • Freedom of the Press 2017: Bolivia

    Cinemas across the country screened, at no charge, a government-backed film entitled The Cartel of Lies, which scrutinized press outlets and reporters who had reported critically on Morales. The film was also posted to the Ministry of the Presidency’s YouTube page.

  • Freedom of the Press 2016: Bolivia

    In December 2015, the telecommunications regulatory authority announced that hundreds of broadcast outlets will see their licenses expire by 2019. To stay on the air, they will have to participate in a public licensing process expected to favor government-backed outlets.

  • Freedom of the Press 2015: Bolivia

    Ranked 91st in annual global media freedom report