5 October 1998

Alert

Indonesian weekly reopens


Incident details

ban lifted


(ISAI/IFEX) - Further to the reopening of "Tempo" magazine, banned since
1994, ISAI has forwarded the following Agence-France Press news release:




**For background, see IFEX alerts of 14 June 1996, 27 and 21 June and 5 May
1994**
JAKARTA, Indonesia (October 4, 1998 08:14 a.m. EDT) - Staff at Tempo,
Indonesia's leading weekly news magazine when it was banned by former
president Suharto's administration in 1994, announced Sunday the publication
would return to the newsstands this week.


"Our trick to get readers ... we aim to become some sort of clearing house
for news," Tempo deputy chief editor Bambang Harymurti told a press
conference announcing the relaunching of the magazine.


Tempo would hit the newsstands on Tuesday.


Harymurti said that since the new era of press freedom enjoyed by the nation
since the fall of Suharto on May 21, the flood of news and information
supplied by the media, including through the Internet, had left a lot of
people confused.


"Which news is true? We will try to explain it (to readers)," Harymurti
said, adding that the new Tempo will have "depth and comprehensiveness."


Tempo had a circulation of some 180,000 copies when the Suharto government
closed it down on June 21, 1994, citing vague "substantive" editorial
reasons.


Tempo's chief editor Gunawan Mohamad said that until now, the precise reason
for the 1994 ban remained unknown, but he speculated that the final blow
might have been a report critical of the purchase by the government of 39
old East German navy vessels.


The ships were ordered by Suharto's handpicked successor, President B.J.
Habibie, whose government has allowed Tempo to reopen.


Two other major weekly publications were also closed down at the same time
as Tempo but with the government citing "administrative" reasons.


Tempo general manager Fikri Jufri, a former deputy chief editor of Tempo,
said that some 130,000 copies will be printed for its first edition.


Gunawan said he was not worried about the possibility that the burst of
press freedom currently enjoyed by the country may be short-lived.


"We do not care whether the government is committed to (press) freedom, we
have to make the government commit itself to (press) freedom," Mohamad said.


Jufri said the magazine's path to republishing had so far been smooth and
that feedback from the government and the public had been encouraging.


Most of the editorial staff will be old faces who had been active in the
magazine before the ban.


Gunawan said that the new Tempo will still "be like the old magazine" but
with an emphasis on sharp analytical pieces and on investigative reporting.


"The biggest hindrance so far is our own ambition to make it the best,"
Harymurti said. Gunawan said the closure of the magazine in 1994 had turned
it into some kind of legend and that "we will have to compete with our own
shadow."


A mock copy of the new magazine distributed at the press conference showed
little noticeable difference from the old version in form and content,
except for the cover layout.


But the cover set the tone.


It depicted a blown-up drawing of a U.S. one dollar bill, but with the face
of Suharto under the white wig instead of George Washington.


The words, "Why Suharto is making a challenge", were splashed in yellow
letters, referring to the veteran leader's challenge thrown to his
detractors, to prove that he has amassed a fortune during his 32-year tenure
as president.


"There is no intention of revenge," Gunawan said.


An investment of up to six billion rupiah (slightly more than half a million
dollars) was needed to put the magazine back on track, Jufri said, adding
that the stakes in the magazine were owned by three foundations and one
company.


The foundation grouping the alumni of the old Tempo and the Jaya Raya
foundation which owned shares in the old Tempo each held a 30 percent stake.


The rest was split between a foundation gathering the current employees of
the magazine and a company, PT Grafiti Press, also a stakeholder in the old
Tempo.


By BHIMANTO SUWASTOYO, Agence-France Press





Source

 
More from Indonesia
  • Indonesia: Violence against women journalists

    The Indonesian press has not been free from violence and abuse against journalists. There were more than 60 cases recorded from 2017 to March 2018, with at least 20 percent of the cases involving women journalists.

  • Freedom on the Net 2017: Indonesia

    Blocks on web content affected gay dating apps and websites with information related to the West Papua region

  • Freedom of the Press 2017: Indonesia

    Amendments to the 2008 Information and Electronic Transactions (ITE) Law retained criminal penalties for online defamation, but reduced the maximum sentence. The amendments also introduced a provision media watchdogs said could permit the censorship of past news articles.

 
More from Asia & Pacific
  • TRUTH VS MISINFORMATION: THE COLLECTIVE PUSH BACK

    SOUTH ASIA PRESS FREEDOM REPORT 2018-2019

  • The Campaign for Justice: Press Freedom in South Asia 2013-14

    Journalism in South Asia is far from an easy profession, as the 12th annual review of journalism in the region "The Campaign for Justice: Press Freedom in South Asia 2013-14" portrays. But this year's report also tells the story of the courage of South Asia's journalists to defend press freedom and to ensure citizens' right to information and freedom of expression in the face of increasing challenges to the profession and personal safety.

  • THE STORIES WOMEN JOURNALISTS TELL: Women in Media in South Asia

    The report is the first created by the South Asia Media Solidarity Network (SAMSN) looking specifically at the experience of women journalists in the South Asia sub-region