9 January 1998


Still waiting for justice on second anniversary of death of journalist Metin Goktepe; latest hearing held in December

Incident details

Metin Goktepe



(RSF/IFEX) - In an 8 January 1998 press release, RSF recalls that, on 8
January 1996, Metin Goktepe, a journalist with the extreme left daily
"Evrensel", was beaten to death by police in Istanbul (see IFEX alerts).
Two years later and after twelve hearings, the trial of the eleven police
officers accused of the murder is still not over. Five of the eleven
officers remain in detention.

**Updates IFEX alerts of 1 December, 10 November, 9 October, 17
September, 22 August, 30 July 1997, and others**

A reenactment of the murder at the crime scene, the Eyup sports complex,
took place on 5 January 1998. That day, one of the accused officers,
Fikret Kayacan, reportedly made threats on the life of key prosecution
witness Deniz Ozcan. This incident, says RSF, is a flagrant example of
the threats and pressure to which witnesses and members of the Goktepe
family have been subjected since the death of the journalist.

On 25 December 1997, during the last hearing in the trial of the police
officers in the Afyon Court of Assizes (in western Turkey), the court
reviewed a report on the autopsy done on Goktepe's body. The court had
been requesting this document from medical authorities for months.

Two years after Goktepe's death, RSF condemns the threats made against
members of his family and prosecution witnesses, and seeks real
protection for these individuals. RSF expresses hope that the next
hearing in the case -- scheduled for 22 January -- will lead to
significant progress in the trial.


Reporters Without Borders
47, rue Vivienne
75002 Paris
rsf (@) rsf.org
Fax:+33 1 45 23 11 51
More from Turkey
  • Justice Monitoring Report: Freedom of expression trials in Turkey

    Given the unprecedented number of journalists in prison in Turkey at the moment and the increas- ing number of freedom of expression trials, trial monitoring has become an important activity for Turkish civil society over the past few years.

  • Freedom on the Net 2017: Turkey

    Wikipedia was permanently blocked over articles on Turkey’s involvement in the Syrian civil war

  • Freedom of the Press 2017: Turkey

    The government, using enhanced powers under a state of emergency, carried out a massive purge of media outlets accused of links to an attempted military coup in July.